Avenham Park Pavilion
Avenham Park, Preston, UK
In February 2005 the practice won an RIBA competition to design a new pavilion for Avenham Park in Preston. The project forms the centrepiece in a Heritage Lottery Funded scheme to restore the landscape, buildings and artefacts in two adjacent parks, namely Avenham and Miller Parks. Edward Milner, the noted English landscape gardener, originally designed the two parks in the 1860’s and these are thought to be the best surviving examples of his work today. The building comprises a classroom, café, toilet facilities, ranger’s base and small intimate performance space to the outside. The building was recently given a Civic Trust Award.
Client: Preston City Council
Funders: The Heritage Lottery Fund; AvenCentral through the Single Regeneration Budget (SRB6); The European Regional Development Fund; Lancashire County Council.
Architect: McChesney Architects. Ian McChesney, Michael Westthorpe, Pola Fitzgerald.
Landscape Architect: Fenella Griffin + Edward Hutchison Landscape Architects
Quantity Surveyor and Planning Supervisor: Boyden and Company
Structural Engineer: Atelier One
Services Engineer: RYB Konsult
Contractor: John Turner & Sons